Midas+ Solutions, a Xerox company, is known throughout the healthcare industry for its excellence in product, integrity and client support. A pioneer in acute care quality management, Midas+ provides distinct yet tightly integrated solutions that address strategic performance management needs.
J2’s first assignment for Midas+ was to extend the integration capabilities of Digital Nurse Assistant (DNA), a mobile application that helps nurses manage worklists and respond to their patients’ urgent needs in real time. After conducting a best-practices review and presenting our architectural recommendations, we built an Ensemble integration framework that connects DNA to hospital information systems, enabling up-to-the-minute sharing of patient status across the entire care team. More than just a set of interfaces, the Ensemble framework includes a robust monitoring and alerting engine and an underlying class model that supports a clean division between core product APIs and installation-specific business rules. (A brief DNA overview and demo can be found in InterSystems’ online video library.)
Building on our success with DNA, we were asked to assist Midas+ development team with a number of application development and integration projects for its Midas+ Live clinical surveillance solution. Our work on Midas+ Live has included:
- Establishment of best practices around Ensemble configuration and integration architecture
- Design and implementation of a comprehensive data model for clinical quality measures (CQM), optimized for Meaningful Use features and CMS reporting
- Development of canonical HL7 and flat file specifications and interfaces for the integration between third-party EHRs and the CQM data model, supporting 29 data measures used in Meaningful Use Stage 2 reporting requirements
- Creation of an Ensemble process manager that maps over 40 distinct categories of client-specific codes to industry standards, determines which encounters are eligible for Meaningful Use measures, and generates CMS reports
- Introduction of our Subversion-based source code control solution, which integrates Subversion directly within the Ensemble development environment and supports structured code promotion from development sandboxes to test, staging, and production environments
- Mentoring and knowledge transfer to Midas+ internal resources
J2’s contributions helped lay the groundwork for a strategic initiative to consolidate the entire Midas+ application suite onto a common technology platform that makes best use of Ensemble for integration and workflow features.