Healthix, the largest public health information exchange in New York State, is devoted to developing, deploying and operating innovative uses of interoperable health information technology and analytics to facilitate patient-centric care and promote improved health care quality, affordability and outcomes for New Yorkers. Healthix participants include over 150 provider organizations and 550 facilities in New York City and Long Island, serving over 11 million patients across the full continuum of care.
J2’s relationship with Healthix dates back to 2007, when J2 helped the organization become the first HealthShare HIE to go live in the U.S. Less than two years later, J2 implemented HealthShare at the Brooklyn Health Information Exchange (BHIX), which merged with Healthix in 2013. Over the years, through multiple periods of rapid change and transition, Healthix and its stakeholders have continued to rely on J2 for systems architecture, interface development, application development, analytics, systems support, project management, and strategic technology consulting.
In close collaboration with Healthix and InterSystems, J2 has extended HealthShare’s core capabilities to support a series of innovative features and programs for the benefit of the Healthix community:
- Clinical repository and identity management for over 11 million patients
- Bidirectional EHR interoperability with a growing list of vendors, including Allscripts, Cerner, eClinicalWorks, Epic, Netsmart, and NextGen
- Single sign-on to accelerate provider adoption
- Direct-enabled secure messaging to support Meaningful Use
- Real-time clinical event notification
- Health Home integration to facilitate care management for Medicaid patients
- Health plan integration to enable HEDIS reporting and other quality measures
- Functionality to support clinical research
- Connectivity with the Statewide Health Information Network for New York (SHIN-NY)
One of J2’s most valuable contributions was to build Healthix’s real-time clinical event notification service, which sends customizable alerts to care managers and clinicians on ED or inpatient admissions, hospital discharges, readmissions, death notifications, and other critical events. Healthix users can receive email alerts, as well as Summary of Care and Transition of Care documents from their hospital and physician referral partners, in a number of different ways:
- On their smartphone or other device, providing quick access to the Healthix Clinical Message Center and the patient’s entire longitudinal record
- Via their Direct-enabled clinical inbox
- Routed directly into their existing EMR or clinical information system
J2 continues to help Healthix develop new capabilities, such as electronic submission of care plans and electronic signing of clinical orders, that allow its providers to expedite the delivery of coordinated care. The work done by J2 is enabling Healthix not only to connect its ever-growing community to the Statewide Health Information Network for New York (SHIN-NY), but also to help its participants meet the requirements of incentive programs such as the New York State Medicaid Health Home Program and, more recently, the Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) Program. Innovations in development include the use of predictive analytics to identify patients with chronic health conditions and other risks, so that they can be offered preventive care that improves wellness and reduces avoidable hospital admissions. These initiatives and other innovative services position Healthix as a trusted resource for improving patient outcomes and lowering costs in the State of New York.
Even more details about our work at Healthix can be found in our customer profile.